October 13, 2011

It's been awhile

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted. Mostly, because nothing is going on...I'm still just trucking a long waiting for the next ivf to start. I'm in the midst of my natural tracking cycle. I'm still a little unclear on how the next cycle is going to work. Apparently I'm doing late luteal phase---I used dr. g.oogle and didn't find much. Right now, the best guess is that I will go in for retrieval sometime in November.
Mr. F and I have been struggling over whether or not we want to switch insurance (so that we can give this another try if necessary). With co-pays & pgd it would probably cost us around $5k to do another cycle. This may sound strange--but I'm not really sure that I would want to spend the $5k on my eggs again. I'm leaning more towards just keeping the same insurance and if need be putting that $5k towards a donor egg cycle. Does that sound logical to anyone else? My open enrollment ends in a few weeks...so a decision needs to be made rather soon.

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good question. If you have a balanced translocation it might be a safe idea to forgo using your own eggs, since it may be the cause of your miscarriages. What does your RE think? Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to cheering on your next cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely would be something to consider. If you're both open to trying a DE cycle and it would cost the same either way, that sounds like a logical option. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking about putting my next batch of eggs in my sisters basket so to speak. I don't know if I want to bet on my uterus again. Such a hard decision - I hope you are able to decide without too much agony. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's always good to think about, I know we thought about using donor sperm since my husband has the balanced translocation. We wanted to do all we could do first with our own eggs/sperm. I am going to post some info regarding the translocation, you have probably seen it before. I believe you can get pregnant, it may take some time but I think it can happen.
    With a Robertsonian Translocation, there are six possible outcomes for the embryo (even more in a reciprocal translocation): normal, normal/carrier, an extra 13 (Trisomy 13), a missing 13 (Monosomy 13), an extra 14 (Trisomy 14), and a missing 14 (Monosmy 14). So from an odds perspective, if nothing else played a role, a Robertsonian carrier has a 2 in 6 (33%) chance of producing a normal embryo. This in on top of the inherent rate of abnormals in young, healthy women without translocations. With the proliferation of PGS (preimplantation genetic screening), their rate of normals is now thought to be around 40%. So very roughly, 33% of 40% normals if you're young with a translocation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete