June 19, 2010

HSG's are a lot of Fun!

Over the course of miscarriage testing and pregnancies that are doomed to end, I must have given at least 30 vials of blood. You would think that this would be torture enough for most people. After all this bloodwork, I was recently diagnosed with a crappy genetic condition. Because that seems to be what is making my eggs useless, I had hoped my testing would be over. So, imagine my great delight when I found out that I would also get to have an HSG before we could discuss a plan of attack. Dr's words--just so we can make sure there is nothing else wrong with you. I love my RE but seriously isn't having this really cool genetic problem enough?

This is what brought me back to the hospital on Wednesday. (Speaking of, since was around my 400th appointment is anyone else running out of excuses for snoopy co-workers?) Upon check-in (be there 30 minutes early so you can sit in the waiting room for 25 of them surrounded by children), I got a really cool plastic bracelet put on my wrist and was ushered into a radiology room. As usual, I had done plenty of reading up on the procedure via the internet and what I found was not reassuring. Words like "worst pain ever" and "almost worse then childbirth" were not uncommon. Imagine my surprise when the torture session was done in less then 2 minutes--I barely felt it. So, fear not other HSG participants. You may be one of the lucky ones who don't have a lot of pain. It was actually pretty cool as I got to watch the dye go through my uterus and tubes--which are perfect by the way. So, now onto plan of attack. Next week me and MrF will meet with our RE to determine exactly what our options our. I have to say, I'm excited (well, and nervous of course).

In non baby news, I've read a few books this week. A friend gave me "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and it was an interesting read. A nice conclusion to the series. Right now I'm i the middle of "Bite Me" and I can't decide if I like it or not. I'll let you know when I finish. I've got a long plane ride coming up soon (going on vacation) and plenty of time to continue towards my goal of reading the top 100 Modern Library books.

1 comment:

  1. You must've been reading the same posts I did the night before I did an HSG; worst pain I've ever felt in my life kind of stuff - horrifying; I was expecting to have my insides ripped out after reading them, agh! Although I was sobbing uncontrollably within about 1 minute of walking into the hospital (thanks to the message boards), the procedure was pretty low key; a little cramping, warm sensation and then a few days of period-like cramping. Not too bad...

    ReplyDelete